FA SUGGESTED STEP 5/6 REVIEW

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FA SUGGESTED STEP 5/6 REVIEW

Post  welshwatcher on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:18 pm

The club I follow attended the meeting at Enderby and there will be a considered response published in the next couple of days.

Have started a new thread as there was a suggestion made at the meeting that may be worth investigating and discussing in its own right.

At Present there is ONE Conference side, TWO conference regional and then THREE Step 3 divisions followed by steps 4/5/6

It was suggested and had some strong support, from a couple of clubs, that rather than reduce the step 5 clubs from 14 to 12 they should make the perfect pyramid and increase step 5 to 16 divisions.

1-2-4-8-16-32 (32 AT LEVEL 6) many feel this would resolve the issue.

Any Thoughts?

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FA SUGGESTED STEP 5/6 REVIEW

Post  sammy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 am

Seems a good idea, as I personally thought the general idea by the F. A was to prompt / encourage football at grass roots level, by increasing the divisions this would show that the F.A are supporting " grass roots " football. I feel if the F.A still go ahead and impliment 12 Step 5 divisions, teams throughout the country will want to drop back to Step 6 divisions as with Ridgeons Clubs that could be effected, as Hadleigh Utd have already stated some players may leave because of the increased travelling & Brantham Athletic have stated it may destory their ambitions
But the burning question will be " Will the F.A consider the proposal " as it has not been thought up by their full time paid Officials !!!

sammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 am

Whilst i cannot see a problem in raising Step 5 from 14 to 16 divisions throughout the country, trying to get 32 Step 6 divisions maybe a 'different kettle of fish'. The only reason why i mention this is because of the problems we (Eastern Counties) have had in getting Clubs from Step 7 to our First Division in order to make up the league to its full complement. I am not fully acquainted with how many Step 6 divisions there is at the moment but if it can be done then the new proposal sounds good to me if only to keep the 'status quo' which i assume would make everyone happy.
Backfour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sammy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 am

Backfour, has raised a good point with teams from step 7 not wishing to step up to step 6, perhaps this i feel is because they see how many it costs, for extra travel, match day hospitality etc, thats without ground improvements.
Unfortunately many of the Step 7 clubs play on pitches where they cannot be enclosed and have the necessary pitch fencing and hard standing.

sammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bergh1 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 am

They wont be interested in step 7, which is local leagues, they will just say apply to the league if they want into step 6, and if they have the finances they will be allowed to enter, what ever place they finish in their league, as you say not many have asked for promotion over the years.
they should have started from the top and increased promotion places into conference and so on if that is possible, and then work their way down to step 5/6, as these are the clubs who have invested into ground standards.

bergh1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gag on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Interesting format with the 'proposed' pyramid idea. 1-2-4-8-16 (Leagues at Step Five) so would that mean 32 Leagues at Step Six? And what happens when all those clubs that want promotion from Step Five leave the 16 League tier? Will clubs be 'forced' to step up to make the numbers up? This is one of the reasons why the Ridgeons League has got weaker as six clubs have departed and hardly any have come in. A couple of years ago at a Ridgeons meeting it was raised the FA were looking to possibly 'punish' clubs at Step Seven for standing in the way of clubs wanting to progress up the pyramid. All the above will involve necessary ground grading and a host of money spent, I expect the FF will be inundated with applications.

Gag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welshwatcher on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm

The club I follow have issued their first press statement on their view of the proposals, I'm sure there will be plenty more to follow.
You can read it at

http://www.felixstowefootball.co.uk

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welshwatcher on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:41 am

One of the most worrying aspects of the review is that the panel was made up almost entirely by members with a vested interest in making the proposals work, yet not one of the panel was or had been involved in running a step five league or club in the last decade.

Has anyone ever heard the term loaded dice!

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spenny on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 am

Let me start by saying that my team are broadly in favour of the proposals put forward by the FA, mainly because it will give us more local derbies with teams from the Peterborough area.

The problem with the suggested 1-2-4-8-16-32 system is not just increasing Step 5 to 16 divisions. It is increasing Step 3 to four Divisions. As Mike Appleby explained at the meeting I attended, they have already mucked about with that level of football and really don't want to do it again.

If you increase Step 3 to four Divisions, where are the extra teams going to come from? You'd need another 22 teams to make another Division and they will have to come from Step 4, which means you then have to replace them AND form two new Divisions of 44 teams from Step 5. Then you have to form two new Divisions at Step 5 and replace the 66 teams you just lost to Step 4!!

So basically, 110 teams currently at Step 6 or below will have to play at Step 5. You could reduce the size of the Divisions to say 20 teams at all levels, but that would still mean upheaval for an awful lot of clubs.

We have always said that the Ridgeons League is one of the strongest at Step 5, but by increasing the number of Step 5 Leagues, you will, in fact, dilute it with weaker teams. By my calculations, the 1-2-4-8-16-32 pyramid with 22 in each league would have 1386 teams in it. Even if you reduce Steps 5 & 6 to 20 and 18 teams respectively would still have 1210 teams. How many of those teams at Step 6 would be able to enter the FA Vase? Without a major overhaul of that competition, not many!

As for the Ridgeons League counter-proposals which I saw for the first time today, you may as well leave things as they are. It takes the existing Premier Division, adds Lynn, Witham and Takeley and that's pretty much it.

It's interesting to see the potential 2012-13 league maps (which you can see here) show Wroxham absolutely out on a limb in the Ryman League Division One North. I call that a hiding to nothing...

Spenny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welshwatcher on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:42 am

While undestanding your position Spenny, we are all looking at our own futures, I too have grave doubts about the perfect pyramid.

However had the counter proposal by David Mayes been the first draft from the FA I am convinced that absolutely NO-ONE would have countered that proposal with the one the FA have come up with.

On a purely selfish note but in conjuction with at least six other clubs the club I follow would make at least nine games inside the M25 in a 48 game league season, how TF can that be right?

Without doubt it would incur midweek games when the latest you could possibly leave is 4pm and returning around 1-2am and having to work next day,

I have not changed my initial view that the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Your nearest northerly neighbours from the UCL certainly didn't show any signs of approval on Sunday.

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 am

As some of you know, the fourth and final regional meeting took place in Yeovil yesterday and a report on the Slimbridge AFC website (Hellenic Premier Division League) gave some interesting facts. John Ward, the FA's Leagues Committee Vice-Chairman stated that ground grading would play a major part in any restructure. In 18 months, any club not at the required level will not be part of Step 5. As part of the review process already completed, the FA had consulted with all of the 14 Leagues which would be affected by any changes and the general view was in favour, 8 Leagues were supportive, 4 (not named) were not and 2 were non-committal. These 2 were named as the (STL) Northern League and the (Toolstation) Western League. For a fuller report, excellently done visit, http://www.slimbridgeafc.co.uk / latest news
Backfour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crackers on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 am

I agree Backfour, the Slimbridge report is excellent....it looks as though one good thing would emerge if all goes ahead and that is the ground grading criteria will reduce the number of step 5 clubs....no more sub standard grounds!!!!

crackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:50 am

Hey Crackers, having not visited many Essex Senior League grounds of late, do you know if there are many that will come up to the required level for this ground grading requirement should, as you say, this all goes ahead??
Backfour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spongebob on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Backfour wrote:Hey Crackers, having not visited many Essex Senior League grounds of late, do you know if there are many that will come up to the required level for this ground grading requirement should, as you say, this all goes ahead??
Let's just say that the proposed 25 club division would be reduced to..........let's say........ummmmm.......15 or so!!
Lot's of work needed and lots of money to be spent by our ESL "friends."
spongebob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welshwatcher on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Good piece in Today's East Anglian Daily Times.

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crackers on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 am

Hey Backfour,sorry no reply yesterday...had the grandkids beating me up all day....didnt get on line but Spongebob has it about right ...15 or so and it may be more due to ground sharing !!!!!! We will see,take care mate.

crackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sammy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 am

if anyone is interested, there is an article by Nick Garnham on the "Green-Un " website, with regards to the Step 5 /6 proposals, in short the Suffolk F.A have come out in support of the proposals put forward by the Ridgeons League

sammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  outside left on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am

What are the Ridgeons League propsals, I cannot find them anywhere.

outside left

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welshwatcher on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 am

outside left wrote:What are the Ridgeons League propsals, I cannot find them anywhere.

http://www.felixstowefootball.co.uk/club/ridgeons-offer-alternative-proposals/

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  outside left on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 am

Thank you very much indded. The propsals seem to make more sense to normal-thinking folk.

outside left

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spongebob on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:51 am

outside left wrote:Thank you very much indded. The propsals seem to make more sense to normal-thinking folk.
Normal thinking folk?? Not too many of them at The FA. lol!
spongebob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenmanwalking on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 am

spongebob wrote:
outside left wrote:Thank you very much indded. The propsals seem to make more sense to normal-thinking folk.
Normal thinking folk?? Not too many of them at The FA. lol!

Normal thinking or just normal?
Greenmanwalking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  homer on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:44 pm

In a nutshell 'The suggested East Anglia Division comprises the current 21 Eastern Counties League Premier Division clubs plus King’s Lynn Town, Witham Town and Takeley.'

So one little well-run league can come up with such an eminently sensible suggestion, yet the finest minds of the FA can only create a hare-brained scheme that would cause chaos.....

homer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spenny on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:28 am

Overheard this from one of the Clacton people yesterday talking to our Secretary "So, these FA proposals won't affect you much then?"

Unless you count actually having some local derbies for once, then no....

Spenny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welshwatcher on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:28 am

Spenny wrote:Overheard this from one of the Clacton people yesterday talking to our Secretary "So, these FA proposals won't affect you much then?"

Unless you count actually having some local derbies for once, then no....

Having got involved in this whole issue I have some sympathy with the Wisbech point of view, but to rip the ECL & UCL apart to satisfy the Step 4 leagues and the people who run them, which along the way may benefit a few clubs such as The Fenmen, seems to me an wholly unfair way to do things.

Should the club I follow (F&WUFC) have to play at least seven games inside the M25 so Wisbech can play more local derbies?

Both clubs applied to play in the ECL because they wanted to play in the ECL, not the East London League Northern League or wherever the FA proposals may take them!

welshwatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top