Eastern Counties Football Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thurlow Nunn League AGM

+2
welshwatcher
spongebob
6 posters

Go down

league - Thurlow Nunn League AGM Empty Thurlow Nunn League AGM

Post  spongebob Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 am

Well, what do we think now that the AGM has ratified things like:

A maximum of 3 contracted players can now play for "Reserve" sides in Division 1

and

Wivenhoe and Diss Town's relegation fears disappeared after both were given reprieves by matters elsewhere
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

league - Thurlow Nunn League AGM Empty Re: Thurlow Nunn League AGM

Post  welshwatcher Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:21 am

I was present and still don't understand the contracted players 'Gentleman's' agreement.
If one club (say Woodbridge Town) can take on 18 contracted players and play any 11 and have five on the bench and use any three at any time in the game, why are reserves sides restricted to three?

welshwatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  spongebob Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:05 pm

welshwatcher wrote:I was present and still don't understand the contracted players 'Gentleman's' agreement.
If one club (say Woodbridge Town) can take on 18 contracted players and play any 11 and have five on the bench and use any three at any time in the game, why are reserves sides restricted to three?
Whilst it may look a bit of a one sided argument, the obvious conclusion is that teams in Div 1 believe that reserve teams contracted players are really their club's first teamers coming back from injury or suspension or just need minutes. It is doubtful that these reserve teams would sign players on FA contracts just to play them in the Thurlow Nunn Div 1. Clubs agreed the three player limit, so that clubs whose first teams play in the Ryman or UCL don't take the piss and play all 11 of their first team. I know that this happened to Harwich a few years ago and also Clacton Reserves ended up playing Braintree first team in a midweek fixture after the Braintree manager sent the reserves home (most of whom were already at the ground) and played the same 11 who had played and lost in the Conference match on the previous Saturday. Now that's taking the piss!!

Last edited by spongebob on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammatical faux pas)
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Spongebob, do you know if the team sheets for the 1st Division will include a box next to the players name/s so that they can be ticked/crossed to indicate that he is a contracted player with that club if so used??
Backfour
Backfour

Back to top Go down

Post  spongebob Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Backfour wrote:Spongebob, do you know if the team sheets for the 1st Division will include a box next to the players name/s so that they can be ticked/crossed to indicate that he is a contracted player with that club if so used??
As I understand it, there is no "tick box" or any other way of identification because the forms had already been printed and collected by the Clubs prior to this decision being reached. The League registration Secretary has a list of all players, whether contracted or not, and will check the team sheets after every game.
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  sammy Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 am

spongebob wrote:
Backfour wrote:Spongebob, do you know if the team sheets for the 1st Division will include a box next to the players name/s so that they can be ticked/crossed to indicate that he is a contracted player with that club if so used??
As I understand it, there is no "tick box" or any other way of identification because the forms had already been printed and collected by the Clubs prior to this decision being reached. The League registration Secretary has a list of all players, whether contracted or not, and will check the team sheets after every game.

All well and good the Registrations Secretary checking the players for being " contract or non contract " , but what happens if a Club has broken the 2 agreement " by playing too many " contracted " players and have won the match
Fine for playing illegible players, match to be replayed or points deducted , these are the questions.

seems to be a "balls up "
Happy Days of Football

sammy

Back to top Go down

Post  eastone Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:25 pm

"All well and good the Registrations Secretary checking the players for being " contract or non contract " , but what happens if a Club has broken the 2 agreement " by playing too many " contracted " players and have won the match
Fine for playing illegible players, match to be replayed or points deducted , these are the questions. "
My sentiments exactly!

My other query regarding allowing reserve teams in the league(not withstanding the need for more teams) is that as I understand it the reserve teams cannot be promoted to the Premier Div which means those clubs eligible for promotion could finish as low as 6-8 at season end, assuming the ressie sides finish in the top five places.
Seems a recipe for disaster.

eastone

Back to top Go down

Post  Blood Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Does anyone know how many promotion places there are from Div 1 to Prem this year?
Herd that it was only 1!
Surly that can't be right!
If so then the season could be finished by Xmas if 1 team runs away with it.
Last season was great with up to 10 teams still in the race with a month to go.

Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  spongebob Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm

There were no "broken promises" during last season's matches, and I have no reason to believe that there will be any this coming season either. Indeed, one "Reserve team" played a match with 9 players rather than break the unwritten "contracted players" agreement.

There can be no punishment for any Club that breaks this gentleman's agreement. It is NOT a League rule, therefore no punishment can be meted out because no League rule has been broken. However, the League will make it clear (and indeed has) to all Reserve teams what is expected of them, and ALL of the new reserve teams stated at the AGM that they would abide by the three player agreement, and were all elected to the League on that basis.

With regards to promotion, the Clubs are aware that no reserve teams are allowed to compete at step 5 of the non league pyramid and therefore none of these reserve teams are eligible for promotion, irrespective of their finishing position in Division 1. Furthermore, in answer to Blood's question, League rules state that promotion to step 5 is open to the TOP THREE ELIGIBLE CLUBS (provided they meet the ground grading criteria). This figure can be adjusted because of outside influences over which the League has NO powers to refuse (i.e. Clubs from higher Divisions and Leagues being reprieved from relegation by the demise of other Clubs which are DICTATED by the FA, which is how Wivenhoe Town and Diss Town escaped relegation this season).

These are my understandings of the Rules and discussions held at The AGM.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions people might have (If I can!!)
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 am

You are doing a great job in the meantime Spongebob, keep up the good work Very Happy 
Backfour
Backfour

Back to top Go down

Post  spongebob Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 am

Backfour wrote:You are doing a great job in the meantime Spongebob, keep up the good work Very Happy 
 Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down