Let's go to the hop !

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Let's go to the hop !

Post  Felixboy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 am

bergh1 wrote:A message from my contact at Brantham, so anyone got any ideas of numbers.

We will be playing FC Clacton 6PM on Saturday 20th September.

Ive had no contact re Programs or Badges

Already been on twitter, bit early to advertise properly on twitter I feel, its been well published by Thurlow Nunn League anyway

Hi Bergh1. I've sent you a Pm to save waffling on here, hopefully we can sort everything out and once I get the go ahead for the programme packs from ALL the clubs (and not just 3 of them), then we should have a good idea of the numbers coming.

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Felixboy wrote:Ratchet. You've probably noticed on the Kempster site that programme packs will be available, so that's the main gripe the hoppers had out of the way. Problem is, at the moment Felixstowe, Woodbridge, and Ipswich Wanderers think it's good idea and have agreed, but I'm struggling with Brantham, but I'll keep plugging away and hope they soon realise the blinkin obvious, that programme packs are a good idea for all concerned.
But when the ECL came up with this idea, it was never going to be on a grand scale, that's the way they wanted it and we've got to respect their way of doing things. As you've no doubt read elsewhere, some hoppers liked the laid back nature of it. Would there have been enough takers for a coach? I doubt it, so instead of losing money they decided to do it this way. As a local I enjoyed the extra games I went to last season, and will again this season.

Yes hoppers do love their paper. I'm surprised you don't think there'll be enough folks to run a coach. I would have thought a well run hop would have produced enough punters to fill a coach maybe two. Just look at the numbers who turned up on the Northern hops? For the record I don't do the TK forum, far too much OCD and bitching on there, that Restructuring thread was a cure for insomnia!!

Really don't understand the League/SpongeBob's attitude here. Do it right, get 400 hoppers, or half do it and get 70. Still its their league, and at least they've seen sense and appointed you to help. I hope they appreciate your efforts.

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:42 pm

What a load of absolute nonsense. For local members of this forum believe me, this bloke Ratchet is either seriously deluded or a wind-up merchant. There has NEVER been 400 hoppers at any hop game, only the hops in the far south west or the north east would dream of over 300. A Sunday game at Dartington in the Devon league was probably the biggest turn out ever, over 300 if memory serves, but nowhere near 400. I was at the first ever hop and have been to many others, and those I haven't attended, I'm well aware of many were there.
Even if there was a coach it would make little difference, the big crowds are always on the bank holiday weekends, and those are booked for the next few years. If you have ever been on a hop you will know that the majority on the coach are London S/E based, and they'd have done the ECL years ago. So take it from one who knows, the crowds on last years ECL hop were what the realists expected, if you made it all singing all dancing you might get a few more, but certainly not anywhere near 200, let alone your ridiculous figure of 400.

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:36 am

Felixboy

You may be right, I may be right who knows, the league have decided we will not find out.

Are the league helping you sort out these programme packs? Hopefully they'll put a message on their website and give you a hand. One thing I can agree with you on, hoppers do love their programmes!

Come on SpongeBob, are you going to help him? Tell you what, I may just come if you do.

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 am

Don't need any help thank you, now I've been given the names of the useful contacts at Brantham (thanks to bergh1)everything should be easy. Providing they're as helpful and as keen as the 3 other clubs, what could possibly go wrong?

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bergh1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:36 am

I will ask again, any idea of numbers, how did last seasons ground hoppers days go with numbers, does anyone know how many serious ground hoppers there are in the country.

bergh1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenmanwalking on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:53 am

I can only say that at Gorleston we had about 60/70...this could be a false figure as according to hopper forums a lot had already visited Emerald Park and as we were the middle game we had a normal kick off time of 3pm and the hoppers were taking in other local grounds such as Acle.Poringland and Stalham.
So it is very hard to say.
Greenmanwalking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:44 pm

bergh1 wrote:I will ask again, any idea of numbers, how did last seasons ground hoppers days go with numbers, does anyone know how many serious ground hoppers there are in the country.

Based on the 2 hops last year the figures were about the same, print 120 extra for the Morning and Evening games, and (as Greenmanwalking rightly says) 70 for the Afternoon game. But as this hop clashes with another It's hard to say. That's the only reason why I've volunteered to do the programme packs, if it didn't clash with another I'd say the same again this season. I'll be going to the UCL hop and trying to find out who's going where, and hopefully taking money for the programmes.
How many serious hoppers? The serious hoppers that live within 150 miles of the area would have done these grounds and wouldn't be interested, It's the newer ones and the Northern lads that will come over here.

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:00 pm

From Felixboy

There has NEVER been 400 hoppers at any hop game, only the hops in the far south west or the north east would dream of over 300.

401 crowd at step 7 Coates FC near Peterborough yesterday. Now I'm sure they weren't all hoppers, but how many would Coates in the Peterborough League get normally? 10? 20?

Wish I'd gone now...

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:00 am

Ratchet wrote: From Felixboy

There has NEVER been 400 hoppers at any hop game, only the hops in the far south west or the north east would dream of over 300.

401 crowd at step 7 Coates FC near Peterborough yesterday. Now I'm sure they weren't all hoppers, but how many would Coates in the Peterborough League get normally? 10? 20?

Wish I'd gone now...

If you had have gone you'd have known there wasn't even 300 hoppers there, let alone 400. I was up there on the Saturday, Yaxley 206, 140 ish hoppers, Riverside 257, around 220 hoppers. But as I didn't go yesterday, I had to ring some mates who were there. As I thought, plenty of families from the newly merged clubs, from those I spoke to, 2 of them estimated 250 hoppers, but one thought there might have been towards 280. A Sunday fixture before the season has really started, in the middle of the Country, at a ground very few have done, a reasonable turn out, but I'd have expected over 300 hoppers for that one. As for the Saturday, no League football, but as Yaxley is step 5, most hoppers would have done it, hence only around 140 turned up, and like me, a few had been there before, and that was with a coach laid on. So as you can see, if you cant get mega numbers when there's nothing else around, you certainly wont get mega numbers when there's many other attractions. This was the perfect weekend to break some records, but they didn't quite manage it.
If Yaxley can only attract a crowd like that on a dead Saturday, the ECL hop will struggle to get 100 when it clashes with another hop. That's not a prediction, It's a fact!!!!

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:42 am

So why on earth are they clashing? Why on earth aren't they asking for Rob Hornby or someone else's help? The lack of any guidance from the league is staggering. Still this thread has made my mind up, my cheque is in the post for the North Berks hop. I know I my programmes and badges will be waiting for me, there'll be a minibus to ferry me around, and a hotel before and after as I'm flying down specially. And as such, this will be my last post on the subject. Good luck to all the clubs on your weekend, and good luck to you Felixboy, as far as I can see your league is setting you up for another day of chaos and missed opportunities

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:57 am

Ratchet wrote:So why on earth are they clashing? Why on earth aren't they asking for Rob Hornby or someone else's help? The lack of any guidance from the league is staggering. Still this thread has made my mind up, my cheque is in the post for the North Berks hop. I know I my programmes and badges will be waiting for me, there'll be a minibus to ferry me around, and a hotel before and after as I'm flying down specially. And as such, this will be my last post on the subject. Good luck to all the clubs on your weekend, and good luck to you Felixboy, as far as I can see your league is setting you up for another day of chaos and missed opportunities

Based on your inane rantings, I think I've figured out who you are Madam. At Yarmouth last season the programme editor's printer let him down at the last minute, all the hoppers understood except one crazed Scottish Woman, who made a complete idiot of herself by moaning (rather loudly) about it, as you come from Dumfries (allegedly) was it you?
I just like to wish Ratchet a (not so) fond farewell from this forum, and also explain to the local users of this forum, Groundhoppers are nothing like this crazed Woman. Most of us are just football lovers, a lot love to cuddle a piece of paper, but only a very small minority make a big issue about it.
I was going to suggest you head South with Dr John from Edinburgh, as he is coming to Felixstowe before heading to Berks, but I don't think we really want the likes of you in our lovely part of the World, Goodbye.

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bergh1 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:21 am

Branthams crowds for this season so far, have been poor, averaging around 50 people, todays ground hop day 170, lets have some more of this please.
I hope they all got a program Very Happy

bergh1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 am

Cracking day out. 3 good games, around 50-60 hoppers at the first and last games and probably 35 ish for the middle one. But the staggered K.O. times certainly encouraged a few Essex and Suffolk faces to come along and watch an extra game or two. After Clacton's poor start to the season it was nice to see they brought along good support.
After last season it was nice to see the programme sales were about right. Felixstowe had about 3 left at 7-45 on the Friday, Woodbridge sold their last one just after K.O., Wanderers had a few left, sadly Brantham sold out, but most of those that really wanted one had got there early enough to get one.
After the disappointment at Felixstowe on Friday, hopefully we'll be on another one, maybe with Whitton, Stowmarket and A N Other (maybe Debenham) bring it on!!!

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  homer on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:34 pm

TN website gives the crowd at Ipswich as 146, at Woodbridge as 134 and, as mentioned, Brantham at 170, very successful day. Chatting to a hopper before the first kick off he asked me my predictions for the 3 games with me being an ECL fan, I told him I thought 3 home wins....luckily I didn't bump into him the rest of the day!

homer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Just chanced back on this
Attendances for North Berks Hop (Step 7/Cool

Crowmarsh Gifford 215
Dorchester 204
Marcham 201
Benson 172

Average 198

Attendances Eastern Counties League Hop (Step 5/6)

Ipswich 146
Woodbridge 134
Brantham 170

Average 150

I wonder if the organisers have picked up on this? Still, I'll be at the weekend's games, I need all 4, hopefully the gremlins have been sorted out, and we'll have a good weekend. At least this one won't clash!!

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Hopefully the paper chasers, will show more compassion to clubs.

They do moan if they don't get their piece of paper, on Friday we played Needham Market Reserves we printed double the amount incase of an increase in our attendance, we ended up with 2 bags of unused programmes, with an attendance of 54 which is not as many as I would of hoped.

All these paper chasers, need to realize it is hard to judge how many are going to attend they can only guess and they pick up the tab, if they are not all sold out.

So before they moan, maybe they will consider the clubs. I hope all the clubs do well out of the hops.
RANT OVER. Twisted Evil

MIW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:33 pm

The reason that they get angry is because most other hops have a pre-booked programme pack on sale. Flexiboy did one for your last hop, is he not doing it again? That way you get an idea of numbers. I would imagine the reason you didn't see many hoppers is that quite a few were heading to Wales for the West Wales hop

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 am

I am not involved with the hop, so no idea if Flexiboy involved or not. Laughing Our game was not part of the hop, but changed to a Friday in a hope that it would attract hoppers.

MIW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:44 am

Ratchet wrote:The reason that they get angry is because most other hops have a pre-booked programme pack on sale. Flexiboy did one for your last hop, is he not doing it again? That way you get an idea of numbers. I would imagine the reason you didn't see many hoppers is that quite a few were heading to Wales for the West Wales hop

Sadly the geography of this hop means I couldn't do what I did last time. But all you can do is hope the clubs listen to those that have some experience in these things. I hear that at the pre-cursor to the West Wales hop last Friday, Briton Ferry didn't do enough, and I'm sure they were told that a lot of hoppers would be attending.
Using email addresses from the League website I contacted all the clubs last Thursday and told them how many the clubs issued at the hop earlier in the season, Mildenhall had the decency to reply and told me and told me that they'd be producing 130, still awaiting a reply from the others, either I got the address wrong, or they couldn't be bothered. Based on previous ECL hop figures, 100 is a minimum, that should mean the hoppers are happy, even if the locals miss out on one.

Felixboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 am

and if they don't sell the amount printed, who picks up the tab?
A : The clubs.

MIW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:17 am

Too damn right. Why the organisers of these events don't help the participant clubs out by giving some help and guidance is a mystery. Its not as if there's a lack of expert help out there. All SpongeBob and co need to do is google groundhop, and ask away. I hope I haven't made an error in coming down for this, the Lowland League hop is the weekend after, but I've done everything on that, so its of no interest. I know the organisers are doing programme packs there, so why not here? From what you say, it helps out everyone.

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 am

Felixboy, sorry I didn't see your post, it was on another page! Yes Briton Ferry did sell out, I was there! Mind you it wasn't a hop game, just the coach taking advantage of the game being on between the pick-up at Cardiff and the hotel in Carmarthen. Those who booked with GroundhopUK had their programmes reserved, it was just that the club only printed another 30 or so on top of that, so those who didn't book would have had to have got there early. The crowd was 250!!!!

Ratchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 am

Ratchet wrote:Too damn right. .

Confirmed what I thought, as long as you lot have your paper. Sod the clubs. No

MIW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dellwood on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 am

Sorry MIW but you will never get groundhoppers watching a reserve fixture. Leiston Res played AFC Sudbury Res on the Friday before the league started & only attracted 109 & that was possibly higher than the number actually there. And remember that was probably the only league match at any level on in the country on that night !

dellwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum