Eastern Counties Football Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another manager goes

+3
sammy
Adnams
yiddo
7 posters

Go down

Another manager goes Empty Another manager goes

Post  yiddo Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Taken from Stowmarket Town website

Manager Steve Jay has left Stowmarket Town by mutual consent with immediate effect. The club would like to thank Steve for his efforts and hard work during his time in charge. Stowmarket Town have moved swiftly to appoint General Manager John Griffin in a caretaker capacity starting with the home game against Brightlingsea whilst the club are seeking applications in confidence for a permanent replacement.
yiddo
yiddo

Back to top Go down

Another manager goes Empty Re: Another manager goes

Post  Adnams Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:47 am

Well it seems to have helped with them winning today!!!! Smile

Adnams

Back to top Go down

Post  sammy Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 am

Not bad two Ridgeons First Division Managers gone in a week, I understand from sources Ipswich Wanderers do not have a very big players budget, Stowmarket I am not sure about, but oblivious Club Budgets have some bearing on the players that will play for small amounts, even so surely when a Team is not performing as in the case of the two teams mentioned, surely the players should look at themselves if they are happy to be paid win lose or draw as some teams even pay if you lose. ( should they be paid if they lose ??? ).
This comment will probably stir a "hornets nest" up , but as stated players must if paid take some of the blame for a teams poor performance(s), could be interesting later in the season with some of the high paying Clubs see their incomes cut by Sponsors cutting back or withdrawing through lack of business , where will these clubs finish up??

sammy

Back to top Go down

Post  yiddo Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:13 pm

I know the budget at Wanderers and I would not say its small, it was more than doubled compared to the previous two seasons but not until one week before the season started, which by then was too late to sign players as they had already signed for others. Also the manager was not given confirmation of his position much before that either.
yiddo
yiddo

Back to top Go down

Post  exdragon Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:25 am

Mmm I remember when I played at this level for a fiver per week not per game, as long as it covered my petrol I was happy to be doing something that I enjoyed. Those were the days, when will people at this level realize that soon there will not be the backers to pay the vulgar amounts we see now? You can only buy success for so long so lets get back to playing for enjoyment, encouraging the youth and if there is a few quid to go round its a bonus.

exdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:40 am

Couldn't agree with you more Exdragon. I can identify with your sentiments 100%. I very much doubt if those days will return but if they dont, then i fear that clubs that are paying exorbitant wages/expenses/payments to players could be facing a very stressful future especially in these austere times.
Backfour
Backfour

Back to top Go down

Post  filangee Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 pm

shame to see IW managers go, iam sure a few more will go before Xmas depending on results, maybe Paul Grainger could go back to Melford Reserves as manager, there start to this season isnt much better

filangee

Back to top Go down

Post  oldschool Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 pm

exdragon wrote:Mmm I remember when I played at this level for a fiver per week not per game, as long as it covered my petrol I was happy to be doing something that I enjoyed. Those were the days, when will people at this level realize that soon there will not be the backers to pay the vulgar amounts we see now? You can only buy success for so long so lets get back to playing for enjoyment, encouraging the youth and if there is a few quid to go round its a bonus.

I dont disagree exdradon but remember your £5 is probaly at least £15 now and trips to places like Downham Market with no coach provided soon see that dissapear. Most young lads are happy to play for peanuts but remember training twice a week and a game at the weekend soon leave a hole in your wallet. Its no suprise that players prefer to play SIL or Border League with less travelling involved and therefore less expense. Even there top clubs pay their players expenses these days so there is no attraction to play Ridgeons 1. You can get the enjoyment and even some decent quality in these so called lower leagues.

If clubs want to compete at this level they have to do so in a professional manner. If the players are looked after properly and the club is run well then the money would be not so much of an issue.

oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post  exdragon Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:17 pm

oldschool wrote:
exdragon wrote:Mmm I remember when I played at this level for a fiver per week not per game, as long as it covered my petrol I was happy to be doing something that I enjoyed. Those were the days, when will people at this level realize that soon there will not be the backers to pay the vulgar amounts we see now? You can only buy success for so long so lets get back to playing for enjoyment, encouraging the youth and if there is a few quid to go round its a bonus.

I dont disagree exdradon but remember your £5 is probaly at least £15 now and trips to places like Downham Market with no coach provided soon see that dissapear. Most young lads are happy to play for peanuts but remember training twice a week and a game at the weekend soon leave a hole in your wallet. Its no suprise that players prefer to play SIL or Border League with less travelling involved and therefore less expense. Even there top clubs pay their players expenses these days so there is no attraction to play Ridgeons 1. You can get the enjoyment and even some decent quality in these so called lower leagues.

If clubs want to compete at this level they have to do so in a professional manner. If the players are looked after properly and the club is run well then the money would be not so much of an issue.
Totally agree with what you are saying Oldschool but when I played in the Eastern Counties we travelled all over the place but the quality of football was worth it. Some of the clubs are run poorly but I would rather see the money spent on the club surroundings, kit and proper organization than a bunch of mercenaries with no soul.

exdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  oldschool Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Totally agree with what you are saying Oldschool but when I played in the Eastern Counties we travelled all over the place but the quality of football was worth it. Some of the clubs are run poorly but I would rather see the money spent on the club surroundings, kit and proper organization than a bunch of mercenaries with no soul.

My point exactly, if the pitch is good, the club is a joy to visit, committee and management professional, kit provided etc then the players will want to play at the highest level.

oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down