Eastern Counties Football Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's go to the hop !

+9
thefriar
dellwood
leohoenig
bergh1
welshwatcher
homer
spongebob
sammy
Backfour
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Let's go to the hop ! - Page 3 Empty Re: Let's go to the hop !

Post  Felixboy Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:17 am

MIW wrote:and if they don't sell the amount printed, who picks up the tab?
A : The clubs.

Fair point usually, but not in this case. On the first seasons hops most clubs didn't listen and had to do a reprint and post the programmes on, you don't need to be an accountant to work out that It's better to have a few left over than go to that expense.
The South Suffolk hop didn't have this problem (probably because some nice geyser did programme packs). Felixstowe had about 3 programmes left over, Woodbridge sold their last one 5 minutes after K.O. and neither of the others had to do a reprint and post them on. So as you can see, no need to lose money, no need to do too many, just listen to those that have experience on these matters, and all should be ok.
And as for your comment on the "reserve" thing. I know most local football followers, and like me they would never watch a reserve side at home. I started watching football in the late 60's, my records only go back to 1977/78 season, of the 4,689 games I've seen since then, I can assure you the only reserve sides I've watched at home have been B teams abroad where the ground is different to the first team. Most of us hate the fact that our League has had to accept these teams, but sadly they had no option once we started losing teams to the Ryman League.

Felixboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm

I'd reiterate the points made above. It just shows how little the league understands groundhoppers and their needs. Organise a programme pack and the risk of a too large a print run is reduced. Remember a groundhopper day will, surprise, attract more than just "fans of the league" and the majority of groundhoppers will see the programme as an absolute must. These are your customers after all. Learn their needs and profit, or ignore them and flounder. Its your choice.

And most hoppers I know won't watch reserves in any shape or form. I certainly won't.

There's more to a hop then just staggering a few kick-offs, I wonder when the league will realise this?

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:26 pm

There's more to a hop then just staggering a few kick-offs, I wonder when the league will realise this?
[/quote]

Ratchet.
I hard a yarn with the league Chairman at the last hop, he told me the clubs had been told to do more programmes, but the ones on the first year of hops didn't listen. We all felt sorry for Yarmouth who had printing problems in the afternoon, as the editor was trying to do an up to date one including the Morning game, he had realised he had to do a load, only to be hit by gremlins. Hopefully word has got through to the clubs and they'll be in plentiful supply.

Felixboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:33 pm

That's good to know. Looks like we're getting there. Good. Now let's hope there are no more diary clashes. That's why I posted the comparison with North Berks, it hurt the ECL clubs last September. And that was on a park pitch league hop, albeit well-organised. Can you imagine the damage if there was a clash with, Rob Hornby's hop? Get that right, and the programmes and you've got the makings of a really good event.

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Let's go to the hop ! - Page 3 Empty TRAVEL & PARKING ADVICE FOR MILDENHALL V GORLESTON GAME

Post  thefriar Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:14 am

For anyone coming to the Mildenhall game on Saturday, just some advice.
National Express and other coaches stop only 100 yards from the ground on Recreation Way, walk left out of coach station and pass Sainsburys on the right.
Car travellers are advised to turn right in front of Sainsburys supermarket when immediately on Recreation way and go to the bottom car park were there is loads of all day free parking and then walk back through Sainsburys car park to the ground entrance off Recreation Way, as their is limited car parking at the ground.
Private coaches and mini buses can park in front of the ground in an allocated area in front of the swimming pool.
Please pass on the info to any ground hoppers that you may know who are coming along.

thefriar

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 pm

So finally back home, and here's what I made of the weekend.

Swaffham. Much better, it felt like an event and the crowd was more like what I'd expect to see at a groundhop event. Good to see the children's matches taking place too, Very long queues for catering etc, but to be expected, and over all the club coped well, well done to all concerned. 244 is the kind of attendance an event like this should aim for in a Step 5 league.

Thetford. What a gem of a ground! Coped reasonably well, but where was the crowd? Far bigger I'd imagine than normal, but for a Groundhopper event actual hoppers seemed very light on the ground.

Mildenhall. To the chap that put up the parking advice, thank you, much appreciated. Lovely pie and chips, but again where were the hoppers?

Newmarket
. Club seemed to have taken only SOME advice. Parking idea for the extra cars was good, but I'd found about the 75 programmes only being printed at when at Swaffham. I thought then that was ridiculously low, but with an attendance of 149 it actually wasn't that far short in the end. Why did so many leave? Again lovely club and ground, but more folks watched the games in the playing fields of West Wales last week which is daft.

Did the league and clubs not publicise this properly? I do wonder whether SpongeBob has actually got exactly what he set out to achieve a groundhopper day without groundhoppers. If so that's a real shame for the clubs, this was a good day's hopping, but perhaps the poor organisation, and lack of cooperation of previous events has caught up with the ECL. What a shame.

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenmanwalking Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:42 am

Well im glad you are at home safe and sound,have you quite finished running the ECL leagues and teams down ,sorry they are not up to your normal groundhopping standard or far from your 'groundhopper needs' other than that hope you had a nice trip.
Greenmanwalking
Greenmanwalking

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:49 am

Greenmanwalking wrote:,have you quite finished running the ECL leagues and teams down ,sorry they are not up to your normal groundhopping standard or far from your 'groundhopper needs' .

Great post Greenmanwalking.

Ratchet keeps taking a pop at our league and our clubs. Hoppers like him will never return to our clubs but expect them to dance through hoops, if they don't dance he will criticise them. No

MIW

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenmanwalking Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 am

I have nothing against them, each to there own, but as you said they expect clubs to jump through hoops for one game in the season no doubt never to be seen again...sorry Ratchet but i have to jump through hoops for probably 52 weeks of the year just to get games on for our local loyal supporters.
Greenmanwalking
Greenmanwalking

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Gentlemen, now re-read what I put. My criticism is aimed at NONE of the clubs. It is aimed at the hoppers who failed to support the event, other than at Swaffham, and at the organisers who organised a "Groundhoppers Day" then stated it wasn't aimed at groundhoppers, and had one event clash with another groundhop.

Believe me I know how hard it is to run a club, I've been there, which is why when I see 149 people show up for a hop game I wonder where its going wrong. It should be so much bigger and better for you and your league, and if you don't believe me keep an eye on the attendance figures for the Lowland League hop this weekend. Now please be aware that the ECL will never see attendances as large as those as they are likely to be, but ask yourself why you aren't getting anywhere near? Sad to say you are seeing attendances lower than the West Wales and the North Berks hops. That is not me having a go at the clubs, far from it, its asking why that is and how will your league help to improve this.

Or put it another way, don't shoot the messenger!

You have an excellent league, with excellent clubs, now how can we attract more people to these events?

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Further to your post above stating that we have misunderstood you. To help you, I don't see where we have misunderstood you. I have put in bold your criticism of the good people of Newmarket and the officials of our league. No Also criticism of SpongeBob.

Ratchet wrote:

[
Newmarket
. Club seemed to have taken only SOME advice. Parking idea for the extra cars was good, but I'd found about the 75 programmes only being printed at when at Swaffham. I thought then that was ridiculously low, but with an attendance of 149 it actually wasn't that far short in the end. Why did so many leave? Again lovely club and ground, but more folks watched the games in the playing fields of West Wales last week which is daft.

Did the league and clubs not publicise this properly? I do wonder whether SpongeBob has actually got exactly what he set out to achieve a groundhopper day without groundhoppers. If so that's a real shame for the clubs, this was a good day's hopping, but perhaps the poor organisation, and lack of cooperation of previous events has caught up with the ECL. What a shame.

MIW

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Look, you are trying to attract groundhoppers to your clubs in a series of "groundhopper days." Where you have done well, I have praised but if the league cannot handle even the slightest degree of constructive criticism, then I'm afraid that these days look doomed.

I'm sorry groundhoppers won't watch reserve games, and not knowing that, you wasted precious money on printing more. I regret that in these difficult times. It is a shame you have not had access to the right guidance.

Please understand that these events could be massive, just look at other events in other leagues in the past, a real goldmine for the clubs. I am far from having a pop at you or your league, I am pointing out that what I saw on Saturday was a missed opportunity. You can hate me for saying it, that's fine, you can hate us groundhoppers that's fine too, but if you carry on holding "Groundhopper days" that don't cater for groundhoppers, then don't expect us to turn up.

Noone wants to go where there not wanted

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Where have I said groundhoppers are not wanted? I have not, as I am not involved with the running of the league or the clubs who did the hop. I am just defending them from unfair criticism.
I have highlighted the bits I took disagreement with. You are right you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to back the clubs and league.

MIW

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Here

"Confirmed what I thought, as long as you lot have your paper. Sod the clubs."

As I said, no one will go where they are not wanted. And right now, that is how I feel.

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 pm

I have no problem with hoppers, but you have gone out of your way to rubbish our league and clubs. I will defend them. This is my last post on the subject, as I feel you are a dog with a bone and will keep trying to get a bite. I will provide this and then if you wish to moan I will not respond.

If you wish to drag up previous posts to make your point, this is a two way street. I was going to copy all of your complaints but found enough in your first two posts to make my point.

Enjoy your hopping.... Very Happy

July 13th 10.38 a.m
"What I saw can only be described as a shambles."
"There was no guidance from the league, there were shortages of everything"
"I'd make the comment that these weren't groundhops, merely staggered kick-offs."
"No the league hasn't shot itself in the foot, I my opinion you've shot yourself in both feet."
"Instead the ECL looks like a bully"
"The second shot in the foot is not learning from the mistakes of the first hop"
"I really don't want a repeat of the shambles of the previous dates, and I find the league's attitude off-putting to put it mildly"

July 13th 3.57pm
"Then SpongeBob, by failing to understand groundhoppers and groundhopping you will continue to let down"
"Other leagues have grasped the concept, why can't you?"

and that is in two days.

MIW

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:21 am

All the hoppers I spoke to had a good time, obviously as this is a step 5/6 league most hoppers will have been here, but Ratchet cant seem to get that into her head. But for us older hoppers, we love the ECL staggered K.O. time weekends, just like it used to be before some bloke came along and realised he could make a packet form exploiting people that cant drive.
Maybe one day Ratchet will get it in to her head that these staggered K.O. time weekends are a bit of fun, where the clubs will get a few extra people.
No Hitler telling clubs they cant allow concessions into the ground, no Hitler raking off a load of money for himself, no Hitler booking hotels dirt cheap then charging full whack to poor sods that cant drive. Well done to the ECL for bringing the hops back to where they used to be, and long may it continue. Messrs Amos and Hiscox would be proud of you, I'm sure all the normal people would agree, It's just a bit of football and a bit of fun, well it is to me and I enjoyed myself at Swaffham Friday night.
One more thing, come on you clubs, let's have some more Friday night Football before Sky ruin it with their offering, look at the crowds Friday Football has brought in recently at Ely, Felixstowe and Swaffham.

Felixboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum