Eastern Counties Football Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dark horses for season

+6
Felixboy
sammy
Backfour
Scotty Parker
spongebob
blueimp2648
10 posters

Go down

dark horses for season Empty dark horses for season

Post  blueimp2648 Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:36 am

Whats everyone thinking on who could spring surprises this season.

Having seen a couple of BAFC game think may surprise a few especially as Ollie Mann looking sharp. Look a very organised team. Top 6?

think norwich utd might finally excel as well, and be potential winners. Fancy kirkley to do well as well.

blueimp2648

Back to top Go down

dark horses for season Empty Re: dark horses for season

Post  spongebob Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:17 pm

I think Felixstowe will do well. They've strengthened in depth from last season when they acquitted themselves really well, so fancy them quite strongly.

Unsure about Hadleigh. Lost a few players from last season and not too sure how their new ones will gel.

I watched Brantham last night against Halstead and wasn't impressed. I know there were a few missing and Ollie picked up an injury but despite Steve Downey's optimism I can only see mid table for them.

I agree about Norwich and time they stepped up to the plate, but I'm not sure they have quite enough about them. On balance I think it's Felixstowe for me. (Sorry WW, Dellwood and Felixboy.......curse of the commentator and all that)!!
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

dark horses for season Empty dartk horses for the season

Post  Scotty Parker Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:56 am

Tend to agree with you Spongebob, I can't see beyond Felixstowe & Walton. Hadleigh have lost too many from their Champioship winning side and are desperately short of fire power. Top five would be good for them. I can also see Norwich Utd being a threat alongside Godmanchester Rovers - they would be my outside bet.

Scotty Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Backfour Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 am

I think i'll go with the flow regarding Felixstowe and Norwich Utd. However i see as outside bets Godmanchester Rovers and Ely City. Of the promoted teams Whitton Utd have been adding to their squad and might be another club to be aware of  Cool 
Backfour
Backfour

Back to top Go down

dark horses for season Empty dark horses of the season

Post  sammy Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:22 am

Very Happy Very Happy I agree with most, Felixstowe by all accounts look strong, think Norwich Utd will do well , provided they can keep their players as over the last couple of seasons they seem to tail off after christmas.
Godmanchester again could be a threat , again if they have kept players from last year.

Hadleigh I am unsure about , lost several players & seems they are finding it hard to attract new blood
Gorleston again unsure as they lost a lot of players to Wroxham
Have seen both Ipswich Wanderers & Whitton in friendlies , but not over impressed at this moment in time

The other issues which can effect teams as the season rolls on is suspensions & injuries , so a team which starts well could easily tumble if they get a couple of players with long term injuries and can't replace thm

All goes to make up an interesting football season  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

sammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Felixboy Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:40 am

I hope you Chaps are right about Felixstowe. After decades of mediocrity it was great to see us near the top last season. We appear to have strengthened our squad, but Danny Thrower will be missed, on a few occasions when we were up against it, he'd provide that bit of magic to turn a draw into a win. But hopefully our new signings will more than compensate for Danny. Ironic a few of you are mentioning Norwich Utd, as that's our first game things might become clearer by 5pm Saturday.
Come on you Seasiders!!!!

Felixboy

Back to top Go down

Post  dellwood Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:11 am

This is the dreaded second album problem, we have been quite happy mid-table, might win a cup match, just the one mind you.
Now this season the world & his mother have predicted we will win the league ! If we do ok but I always say to the chairman that you aim first to finish one above the relegation places (last few years have seen clubs finishing second from bottom not going down) the next thing is to finish in the top half & I'm not used to seeing us high in the league. So all in all I'm not looking forward to this season as much as I have been because the pressure is on to win (mostly) every game. As long as we continue to play good football I will be happy.
As for dark horses I think Godmanchester should be up there possibly easier to predict the bottom three & my money is on Wivenhoe, Thetford & either Diss or Brantham. Division One is even worse last season someone on here I believe said that with all the reserve teams surely this is the time when Saffron Walden go up, therefore with even more reserves this season if they don't go up then there will be questions asked in that part of Essex.
Other predictions of mine are that another Felixstowe team should win the SIL Premier, having seen us beat Stowmarket 4-1 with 10 men they again will struggle to get above half way although they do have the player we didn't want ! Brightlingsea Regent were beaten 6-2 & it could have been more, they will struggle but I hear they have signed a new goalkeeper which they very much need.
Lets hope for a good friendly enjoyable season & I hope all games finish 2-1 as that will help me no end in the prediction league !

dellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Adnams Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:42 am

Dellwood,
2- Chorley Vs Lowestoft Town!
Was this going to be 2-1 also????
I would have to go for Felixstowe or Godmanchester.

Adnams

Back to top Go down

Post  dellwood Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:46 am

thanks for the tip-off yes of course 2-1 ! but Seasiders 2-0 hope I am not too confident.

dellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  homer Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

As the MOTD pundits might say, looks like Norwich United 'didn't read the script' Shocked 

homer

Back to top Go down

Post  dellwood Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:15 am

I don't know if we were that bad or they were that good, a bit of both I think we just got what we deserved on the day. In the second half we offered their keeper a deckchair & a newspaper because he looked bored !

dellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  MIW Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:05 am

dellwood wrote: Division One is even worse last season someone on here I believe said that with all the reserve teams surely this is the time when Saffron Walden go up, therefore with even more reserves this season if they don't go up then there will be questions asked in that part of Essex.
!

Every year I think this is going to be Walden's year, but it never happens. Maybe this year. Also think the same of Halstead. Feel Gt Yarmouth had their good season last year and will probably be midtable. Braintree Reserves may shock a few people go for a 6th place prediction. Down at the foot, just hope Cornard improve nice club.

At Long Melford FC's Stoneylands Saturday. Home to Downham Town go for a 2.1 Iron win. Very Happy

MIW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down